Archie Spencer, Th.D.
Associate Professor of Theology;
- Dr. Spencer's education includes degrees from Regent College (M.Div. & Th.M.) and University of Toronto School of Theology (Th.D.).
- At ACTS Dr. Spencer is actively engaged in teaching, presentations, and thesis supervision in the fields of Systematic, Philosophical, Historical and Ecumenical Theology. He also teaches in the undergraduate department of Religious Studies at TWU where he is an associate faculty member as Associate Professor of Theology
- His research interests include Contemporary Theology in the Western Tradition, the Theology of Karl Barth, Eberhard Jüngel, Reformation and Evangelical Theology, and Alexandrian Theology of the first three centuries.
- He has published a major work on the Theology of Karl Barth, and has written numerous academic articles, reviews, chapters, and popular articles, some of which have been translated into other languages. His most recent publication, Analogy of Faith: The Christological Content of Theology, is forthcoming from Intervarsity Press in 2014.
- Dr. Spencer has developed an international reputation as a scholar, speaker and theologian; including Catholic circles where he has developed an ecumenical dialogue with the lay movement, “Communion and Liberation”, and the Italian Theologian, Luigi Giussani. He has spoken on theological themes in the UK, Ireland, Italy and all over North America, including institutions such as Trinity College, Dublin, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Seattle Pacific University, McGill University and many other places of learning.
- He has taught courses and class lectures in Theology and Ministry at Briercrest Seminary, Trinity Western University, Redeemer Pacific College, Regent College, Wycliffe College and McMaster Divinity College.
- Dr. Spencer is a member of the American Academy of Religion, the Karl Barth Society of North America, Society for the Study of Theology, and is a founding member of the Western Institute for Theological Studies.
- Archie's ministry and professional experience includes serving as a Pastor in various settings within the Pentecostal and Baptist contexts for over 15 years. While teaching, he has continued to remain active in the local church through various preaching engagements, seminars, men's retreats. Dr. Spencer loves engaging the church as she thinks through her theological and missional mandate. Archie can be contacted for speaking engagements through the Speakers' Bureau.