Northwest Baptist Seminary
The mission of Northwest Baptist Seminary is to prepare effective leaders for Evangelical Baptist ministries and the Kingdom of God through the provision of quality, innovative, biblically-faithful educational programs.
- A founding member of ACTS Seminaries
- Over 65 years of history
- Over 2000 graduates
Northwest Baptist Seminary is the official theological education institution of the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches of British Columbia, the Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the Territories.
Northwest Baptist Seminary began in Calgary in 1934 with Western Baptist Bible College under the auspices of the Regular Baptist Missionary Fellowship of the Prairie Provinces. Rev. Morley Hall was the founder and Rev. George Dawe was the first principal. This school was located at Westbourne Baptist Church and was operated there until 1939, when many of the young men who would have come to study were, instead, sent to Europe to fight in the Second World War.
In 1945, at the end of the war, the leaders in British Columbia and the Prairies Provinces decided to open a college in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. Dr. J. B. Rowell was the first president and he was succeeded in 1946 by Rev. George Dawe. This college was given the name, Northwest Baptist Bible College. In 1953 the College was reorganized and Rev. J. H. Pickford became the Principal. The College relocated in 1958 to southeast Marine Drive in Vancouver. In 1959 Northwest received its charter from the government of British Columbia authorizing it to grant all theological degrees.
The College was now named Northwest Baptist Theological College. In 1972 Dr. J. H. Pickford retired and Dr. Howard Andersen was appointed to be the Principal.
The College in Vancouver usually had several students who were working on graduate degrees such as the M.Div. (which at that time was designated as the B.D) and the M.Th. In 1976 the graduate division officially became a seminary under the first Dean, Dr. Don Carson.
Rev. Douglas Harris became the president in 1980, a post which he held until 1995.
In 1987 the leaders of the Seminary and the Fellowship joined together with two other seminaries - Canadian Baptist Seminary and Trinity Western Seminary - to form the consortium which is now known as ACTS Seminaries.
In 1989 Northwest Baptist College & Seminary relocated to the campus of Trinity Western University. Dr. Larry McCullough served as president from 1996 to 2000. Dr. Larry Perkins served as president until 2011
In 2000 the undergraduate division was closed and Northwest now continues primarily as a Seminary and active member of ACTS Seminaries. It is located on the ground floor of the Fosmark Centre. Dr. Kenton Anderson is the current President.
The NWB Team:
- Kent Anderson, Ph.D. President/Dean
- Larry Perkins, Ph.D. Professor of Biblical Studies
- Brian Rapske, Ph.D. Professor of New Testament
- Archie Spencer, Th.D. J.H. Pickford Distinguished Chair of Theology, Associate Professor of Theology
- Herb Sturhahn, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies
- Lyle Schrag, D.Min. Associate Professor of Leadership Development
- Vern Middleton, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus of Missiology and Church Growth
- Mark Naylor, M.Div. M.Th. Coordinator of International Leadership Development